Venous insufficiency is caused by malfunctioning valves in the superficial veins of the legs. This can lead to the common symptoms of heaviness and pain after standing for a long time, swelling, and progressive discomfort. In severe cases, venous ulcers can occur. We use noninvasive ultrasound to evaluate the veins in your legs to assess if they are “refluxing”, which indicates malfunctioning valves. If you are diagnosed with venous insufficiency, we will recommend compression stockings, elevation, and exercise. Should you continue to have symptoms after trying these noninvasive measures, we may recommend venous intervention to improve your quality of life. We will then begin the approval process to obtain an authorization for your procedure.
What to Expect Next
- Our staff will send the required documentation to your insurance company. Once the procedure is approved and returned to us, we will call you with an available appointment. If we cannot reach you by phone, we will send you an information packet.
- Insurance companies can take 30-90 days to decide the status of an approval. Please allow at least 3 weeks to process your procedure approval. If you have not heard from us within this timeframe, please call us to check on the status of your appointment. If you receive documentation from your insurance company regarding your authorization, please contact us.
- Please read the information packet we provided at your clinic appointment to ensure you understand the procedure. Also familiarize yourself with the consent forms you will sign the day of the procedure as well as your preoperative instructions.
- Vein procedures can sometimes require multiple visits. Most procedures will require an ultrasound several days afterward and then again after a month to reassess your progress. We will also schedule a follow up clinic visit with your physician when you come in for your one-month ultrasound.
- Typical results can take up to 12 weeks to show improvement.
- Please feel free to call us at (251) 333-3333 with any questions or concerns and we will be happy to assist you.